新概念英语第三册第2课:Thirteen equals one
Lesson 2 Thirteen equals one 十三等于一Listen to the tape then answer the question below.
Was the vicar pleased that the clock was striking? Why?
Our vicar is always raising money for one cause or another, but he has never managed to get enough money to have the church clock repaired. The big clock which used to strike the hours day and night was damaged many years ago and has been silent ever since.
One night, however, our vicar woke up with a start: the clock was striking the hours! Looking at his watch, he saw that it was one o'clock, but the bell struck thirteen times before it stopped. Armed with a torch, the vicar went up into the clock tower to see what was going on. In the torchlight, he caught sight of a figure whom he immediately recognized as Bill Wilkins, our local grocer.
'Whatever are you doing up here Bill?' asked the vicar in surprise.
'I'm trying to repair the bell,' answered Bill. 'I've been coming up here night after night for weeks now. You see, I was hoping to give you a surprise.'
'You certainly did give me a surprise!' said the vicar. 'You've probably woken up everyone in the village as well. Still, I'm glad the bell is working again.'
That's the trouble, vicar,' answered Bill. 'It's working all right, but I'm afraid that at one o'clock it will strike thirteen times and there's nothing I can do about it."
We'll get used to that, Bill,' said the vicar. "Thirteen is not as good as one, but it's better than nothing. Now let's go downstairs and have a cup of tea.'
New words and expressions 生词和短语
Notes on the text课文注释
1 woke up with a start:…
with a start，由于受到惊动，惊醒了。冒号后面是一个解释性的分句，是对start所作的具体说明。
2 recognize as，认出是。
3 Whatever are you doing up here?你究竟在这上面干什么，
4 You certainly did give me a surprise!你确实使我感到意外!
5 Thirteen is not as good as one, but it is better than nothing.
Lesson 2 课后练习和答案Exercises and Answer
[新概念英语第三册第2课:Thirteen equals one]相关的文章
- 新概念英语第三册第1课:A Puma at large
- 新概念英语第三册第3课:An unknown goddess
- 新概念英语第三册第4课:The double life of Alfred Bloggs
- 新概念英语第三册第5课:The facts
- 新概念英语第三册第7课:Mutilated ladies
- 新概念英语第三册第8课:A famous monastery
- 新概念英语第三册第9课:Flying cats
- 新概念英语第三册第10课:The loss of the Titanic
- 新概念英语第三册第11课:Not guilty
- 新概念英语第三册第12课:Life on a desert island
- 新概念英语第三册第13课:It's only me
- 新概念英语第三册第14课:A noble gangster
- 新概念英语第三册第15课:Fifty pence worth of trouble
- 新概念英语第三册第16课:Mary had a little lamb
- 新概念英语第三册第17课:The longest suspension bridge i
- 新概念英语第三册第18课:Electric currents in modern art
- 新概念英语第三册第19课:A very dear cat
- 新概念英语第三册第20课:Pioneer pilots
- 新概念英语第三册第21课:Daniel Mendoza